Thursday, November 12, 2020

Getting Hot as it is Getting Colder


On Thursday, November 12, Rich was able to join us for a hunt. He's my more advanced camera guy, and wears the GoPro for video capture. Many of our hunts he's not been with us, and I have enough on my plate to keep track of the hawk, so I don't wear the GoPro. Then, a lot of the time the action happens out of view.  Well, today we had a front row seat to the action.
 

We visited a farm in our area, the owners having allowed us to hunt there these last many years. There used to be a huge brushy junk pile just behind me in the picture below, but that is gone, gone, gone!! The family did some clean up over the summer.  The rabbits have moved off into the woods behind the house.  We managed to find one of them and kick it out. Wyvern make quick work of the situation.  Again, my silly girl does not allow me to move in quick to help her with her kill, so I just stood back and let her deal with the bunny. When I did slowly move to catch the bunny, she let go and flew up into the tree.  With some coaxing I was able to encourage her to come back for a meal.

It's a strange quirk this bird has. I just try to work around her quirk. The weather is starting to get colder, but Wyvern is doing well. We'll keep making efforts as long as it stays above 30 degrees.  Today was #4 for the year. All my hawks will have fresh bunny on the menu over the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment