Thursday, April 25, 2019

Spring Begins


This is the first year that I have pure bred Nigerian Dwarf Goats on our farmette.  Marigold gave us a set of triplets, and a very colorful set at that.  Below they are in their isolation nursery.  I always try to separate mommas from the herd when they first have their kids, and especially if they are first-time mommas, as these two were.


Poppy gave us a set of twins.


The new family bonds by themselves.


After having two weeks all to themselves, I would start penning up the kids during the evening in a large kennel, all kids together (all five) inside where their mothers were housed.  They could see and smell and hear their babies, they just couldn't nurse them.  I would then begin to take the morning milk and reunite everyone so the kids could nurse all day.  This is how you start getting milk from a milk goat.


On the hawk front, Wyvern has been successfully influenced by the lighting in her mew and started her molt.  Hopefully she will be done and I can whip her into shape for the start of the small game season in mid September.  Flint has taken up residence in my living room.  Ya, really!  That is an old rug that he can poop on and it doesn't matter.  I find this keeps him more calm, and manned.  I had hoped to hold off his molt and maybe try to fly him a little this summer, but he quickly joined into the feather dropping fun, so scratch that plan!


No comments:

Post a Comment