Saturday, December 21, 2019

Sumi . . . ??

What in the world is going on with Sumi?

Well, she molted out to be a Western morph red tail.  In other words, Buteo jamaicensis Calurus.

 
However, she did take her sweet time finishing up the molt, and in fact failed to drop her first three to four primaries on each wing.  She would also, very recently, decide to yank out one of her deck feathers that I had attached a transmitter connector to.

I have also been a bit slow myself getting her on the wing.  We have a lot of weight to drop.  I am making progress now, and hopefully will find out whether or not she will be a falconry bird.  Last year we ran out of time to discover the answer.

She's a beautiful girl!  Here is a close-up that I played with a little in photo edit for fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment