Sunday, October 11, 2020

Start the New Season

 


This happened Saturday, 10/10/2020.  Hopefully that's a good luck kind of date!  Anna and I have been going out some, not yet quite as much as last year.  Passage birds have been rare, but I am now starting to see more of them.  It has been unseasonably warm, so I think the migration really has not kicked off in earnest through Minnesota.  

The path yesterday went over to the Mississippi and up to the edge of the Twin Cities, returning down 52.  Nothing but haggards all day, and not many of those, until the end of the journey.  Three birds spotted almost all in a row, separated by a few miles.  The first was simply un-trappable.  It was just outside Zumbrota, and there were no side roads anywhere nearby for me to loop back.  I am not going to trap on busy 52! Moving on I saw two birds, one on each side roads near Oronoco.  The exit to access them is many miles further down the road.  I made my way there, trying the West side first, but did not spot the bird I had seen there when I zipped past on 52.  I then went to the East access side.  That bird was there, and it was a good set up, a very unbusy road, and good places to place the trap.  This bird did not take long to come to the trap.  

Success for Anna.  Now we need to get me a bird.  We went out again on Sunday for a few hours in the morning, and did see two passage birds. One buzzed the trap.  The other engaged VERY SLOWLY, and was not caught.  Ah well, there is time for me next week, when I have a week of vacation.


Anna has decided to call her Minokawa. She has very strong feet! She gripped me good as we checked her over.  In the video below I said we trapped her in Zumbota, but I mis-spoke, it was Oronoco.


The name comes from the Phillipine mythology.  It is a bird-like dragon that is as large as an island, with a steel beak and claws, mirror eyes, and razors or swords for feathers. It's purpose is to swallow the moon, but can be scared or startled away from this deed by loud noises.  It is an ancient way to explain eclipses. 

I have been known to give my birds unusual names.  Anna is just doing the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment