Thursday, November 24, 2022

First Squirrel

 


Today is Thanksgiving, and I am oh so very thankful to have this wonderful bird as a falconry partner.

We planned for just a little extra time to fly her before we had to join the family for the big meal. I decided we would hit up Sprague Woods in Caledonia, as we have not been there yet this year. I almost faltered in this decision as we were on our way, and almost sidetracked to another very small place we often can pop a bunny or two out of. However, the falconry gods gave me a sign that I should forego the easy choice and continue with the more challenging Woods. The "sign" was a pair of bald eagles sitting in the trees right over the small brushy place. Sure, I know they would probably have bumped as soon as we stopped and got out of the car, but I'd like to believe something urged me to go for the harder challenge. 

As we drove up into the place where we park, two squirrels were on the road, and scampered off into the woods were we would start. Good Sign!  I set an alarm as I only allowed us a half hour window so we would not be late. When I released Seneca she was all business, and took to the high tree tops immediately. She followed well, then began to move out in front of us. We circled around this small woods, and about 20 minutes in she came diving into a nearby tree, and smacked her first squirrel. As she came down, she glided off deeper into the woods. However, it's not that big of a place, so she did not go far.

After passing through a barb wired fence, and getting my coat snagged, I came to her where she was trying to hide her squirrel under a downed tree. She had the whole situation under control, like she's been hunting squirrels her whole life. This is the first one she has taken with me. What she was doing before last year, I don't know, but I am so very happy to add this quarry to her check-off list.


It has been just about the perfect day. We made the lunch on time, and had a really nice afternoon with his family.


I am enjoying so very much hunting with this girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment