Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Post-Op

As I work on this posting, I am Day 2 post-op, at home, fairly pain free, and just a bit groggy from one of two narcotics I'm allowed during the acute recovery phase from my surgery. Today is technically the first day of my 12-week leave, although for the first week I have to take P-Time. 

I'm on a schedule of Tylenol every 6 hours, and generic Celebrex, which is a prescription-strength NSAID, my favorite pain drug of choice pre-surgery. It works the best for arthritis. I am also on a twice daily low-dose aspirin for blood thinning, to reduce the possibility of blood clots in my legs, and a short course of anti-biotics, which is actually participating in a study of some kind that I agreed to. I also have available to me some anti-nausea medication, and stool softener, although so far I have not needed those.

By choice, I am pacing myself with the narcotics. At night I have to pretty much stick to a 4-hour window using one or the other as that is when pain is the worst. During the day I extend the 4-hour windows if I am able, instead also using stretching and massaging my leg, which helps, and also icing. I am normally a go-go-go kind of person. I need to discipline myself to not be in such a hurry for this. Tissues can only heal so fast.


This picture above was from the morning of surgery. I was in the pre-op area, fitted with my surgical gown, and getting my IV. Between these two pictures was all the rest of the procedure, for which I could not take any pictures. I was allowed to bring my cell phone with me, strapped to my arm, and I was listening to music through a new headset I bought for myself just for this situation. It was on "Do Not Disturb", so would not ring at any time while my surgeon, Dr. Perry, and his Team did their work. 

I am so thankful I live at a time and location where we do have advanced surgical methods that can replace a worn out joint, and anesthetic medicine so I was unaware of the entire process.  Once I arrived at the surgical suite, with the 8-10 people that were in the room, I was positioned to receive my spinal catheter, and shortly after it was all ZZZZZZZZZ for me. I woke up as they began to wheel me out of the surgery suite to make a quick stop at x-ray for updated pictures of my new knee.


Look at them!!  A whole new joint inserted.  How wonderful!


I then was moved to an orthopedic wing hospital room where I would complete my post-op progress, meet up with Rich, and get to eat and drink something. As I was working through my milestones for discharge I put my mascot shirt on, and also had given out a few of the stickers I had printed. The Physical Therapist was my last visitor, making sure I could stand up and move with a walker, and reviewed going up and down a short course of stairs so I could safely transition home. Then, with a pouch full of instructions, a quick stop by pharmacy for a bag FULL of drugs, I went home. Just like that!!


I'm sleeping a lot. It is what I should do. I have a wedge so my surgical leg is elevated when I sleep, and an ice machine to help keep the swelling down. Also, I have set up an hourly alarm on my phone to remind me to do my stretches. I have some home PT to accomplish. In a couple weeks I will have a follow-up to make sure I'm on track.

On Day 1 post op I was allowed to take the compression dressings off. I would return the outer wrap for sleeping, as compression also helps to reduce the likelihood of blood clots. In 1-week I will be able to take the bandage off and actually see my new scar.


For something which is a pretty major surgery, it was all routine and streamlined.

No comments:

Post a Comment