Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Nova

I realized recently that I had not made an entry here for the new dog at our home. I had posted on FB, but need to put something here.


After Gryphon's passing I was really quite OK with the idea of just having one dog. However, Oliver very quickly demonstrated that he wasn't good with this plan. He started to show signs of separation anxiety, and a loss of interest in life. He was not enthusiastic about eating, or doing pretty much anything. Rich also started offering up possibilities of new puppies. So, to prevent a sudden arrival of a tiny dog infant, I went out and looked on PetFinder. Much to my amazement, I found this girl. 

She was at the Coulee Region Humane Society in Onalaska, a suburb of La Crosse. I know this place as I had lived in La Crosse from 2007 to 2009. I saw her profile on the evening of April 20, and filled out the application that evening. I then went to Onalaska the next day and arrived just prior to their opening for viewing. I confirmed they had received my application, and met her. She came with the name Nova, and I figured that was a good enough name to keep.


I was delighted to find out I was the first person to express interest in adopting her. A lovely young German Shepherd like her would not be long in a rescue organization. I had all the proof with me of my excellent care of my current dog, vet records and such, so I was quickly green lit to get this girl. Rich and I returned on the following Tuesday with Oliver so they could meet, and it was quickly evident they would get along just fine. She came home with us that day.




As of this blog post, we are over one month since her arrival to our home. She seems to have settled in pretty good, and her personality is coming out more. She gets abundant meals to fill out her overly lean frame, as she seems to have missed some meals in her early life. She seems to have a very sweet disposition, but I'm not terribly convinced about her intelligence at this time. House training has frequent hiccups still if we are not paying close attention.


But both dogs are good for each other. Oliver seems to be very happy to have another canid in the house with him. She is absolutely obsessed with him. They are good for tiring each other out.


I have her signed up for a beginning obedience class in June. She's a bit apprehensive in novel situations, so needs work to curb her neophobic tendencies. My friend Foxfeather has two new pups herself, and I'd like to get her used to going over there for play dates. Our first attempt didn't work out so well, but she was still pretty new to me. Of course Oliver loves going over there, as she has two 2-year old boy dogs that he loves to roughhouse with, and they him. Hopefully we can integrate her into the dog fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment