Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Elimination

So my knee saga continues, but hopefully in a more positive direction.


I have come to believe that all this was kicked off by my receiving my fifth Covid-19 vaccination, with the difference being this year I received the Moderna version. All the times before it has been the Pfizer-BioNTech. I will state clearly that I am not "anti-vax" in any way, shape or form! All I know is that for me, in this particular situation, my extreme reaction happened after I received my booster this year. It almost feels and appears to me that I was stimulated into an auto-immune reaction, which targeted my weakest joint, my left knee, which has been diagnosed with arthritis even before 2019. I don't remember exactly when I got that original diagnosis. Maybe even back to 2015, or before I began working at Mayo. The knee pain has existed, and locks sometimes, and I have coped with it through abundant doses of NSAIDS, mostly Ibuprofen, some topical applications, and a great deal of just ignoring it.

This all changed recently!

I am documenting this timeline for my own purposes. These are my own subjective observations. Little of this is backed up with any kind of rigorous science, but then again, I'm the only one that has to live with the results.  


A TIMELINE OF EVENTS

* October 9-15 had Covid again, for the second time. The course of this illness was very mild, with mostly upper respiratory symptoms.
* October 27 I twisted my right ankle. This is important to include because as a result of this I put extra, unnecessary strain on my already compromised left knee.
* October 30 flu & Covid vaccinated, one in each arm. I had a very strong reaction to what I assume is the Covid shot, as I did get both at the same time, but have never had anything other than a sore arm for the flu. Was the strong reaction because I had just gotten over an active Covid infection? I would go on the next couple days to experience body-wide aching, especially in my lower extremities.
* November 8 I pushed hard hawking. I regretted it terribly the next day. I have been mostly handicapped since that time for walking. I bought a cane to help me offload weight from my left knee.
* I had excruciating pain over the work weekend of November 10, 11 & 12. Along with pain, I felt weakness, and an overall sense of dread. I was even having a difficult time controlling my emotions.
* I called out sick for an OT shift I had previously agreed to on November 13.
* I saw my physician assistant on Tuesday, November 14.
* I was placed on work restrictions from 11/14 to 11/21. Along with that and my normal work schedule, I would have 12 days off from work to rest. 
* I was referred to Sports Medicine on November 20 for fluid removal and steroid injection. This helped the acute pain, but the chronic pain persists. Walking for any distance is still very difficult.
* I pulled my professional knee brace out of storage, which I had received in 2019 when I had my first fluid removal and steroid injection with Sports Medicine. I have been wearing it at work. It helps when I have to be mobile for many hours.
* I rejoined the DAHLC (Mayo employees' fitness center) and started attending on December 5 to strengthen some leg muscles, and just general physical exercise. Swimming is great!
* As of December 11, I am off work for a week (actually 11 days) of pre-requested vacation time.
* I have an appointment set on December 18 to see Orthopedic Surgery. Am I a candidate for a new knee?


I have come to believe that with the modified auto-immune response that I felt during the worst of this, my body's sensitivity to what I eat has been brought into laser focus. Specifically, anything with white flour. I have noticed in the last many years that consuming bread products seems to contribute to my arthritis, and I have reduced eating this. It is annoying, but not debilitating, and very depressing, as I do love good bread. Well, my body now seems to be extra primed to react to this food group. The question that I have now is what else?? Are there other foods I should avoid as well?

So in a quest for knowledge, for my 11 days off, I will be experimenting, and each day try something different, almost exclusively, other than also consuming items that I know are anti-inflammatory (vegetables, salad greens, bone broth, chicken, fish). My body will tell me the next day with pain if I need to avoid those foods.

Yesterday, I started this experiment with only having bone broth soup with onions, carrots, cabbage and some roasted chicken. This morning I feel . . . Good! I'm still morning stiff, like always, but nothing that a little stretching doesn't alleviate. 


Today I will have eggs. Probably a lot of them!


Results As It Progresses

Eggs - Good/OK to Eat
Oatmeal - OK in limited quantity
Tomatoes - OK in limited quantity
Milk - No Go, Sadly! I reacted as strongly as I do to wheat/bread.  😞
(It was goat milk, and whole. Maybe I should try skim cow's milk)
Corn/Cornmeal/Corn Chips - OK in limited quantity
Cured Meats - Bacon, Sausage - Seems OK, but I won't eat much personal choice.
Rice - Sensitive, but maybe not as much as wheat and milk. Dry brown rice!

On the List to Test

Hard Cheeses
Pasta (is it as bad as bread??)
Yogurt / Sour Cream
Lentils

No comments:

Post a Comment